We touched on the very high interest the Chicago Cubs had in 19 year old outfielder Jorge Soler earlier today, and now there is even more to add. According to the Chicago Tribune this evening, the Cubs are ready to put pen to paper and add Soler to the club. Again, I’m not entirely sure that a deal can be done yet because of the same issues Cespedes had with coming over from Cuba. But, judging by the information the Tribune has, Soler is as good as a Cub once he is officially able to sign with a major league team. We will obviously have more news on this as we inch closer to spring training so check back often for the latest developments.
From the Trib article…
Soler, according to one report, will be making $27.5 million with the Cubs for three or four years. He may have been courted by Cubs ownership and front-office officials while they were visiting their new Dominican academy earlier this month.
If this is actually the case, what a tremendous deal for the Cubs, they get “Cespedes light” for the same amount of years and less money. Not to mention Soler’s best baseball is ahead of him, and he could develop into a flat out superstar. Again, nothing 100% official yet, but sounds like it’s only a matter of time.
According to several sources the Oakland Athletics have agreed to sign Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to a 4 year $36MM deal. This is a big surprise as it appeared the Miami Marlins were well on their way to signing him to a six year
deal. This contract will enable Cespedes, who is said to be 26, a chance to become a free agent once again at 30, giving him a possibility of cashing in on a second big contract. According to Peter Gammons, Cespedes’ representatives “felt the A’s wanted him more than anyone else.” For the A’s this is a nice signing considering they have been looking for offense anyway they can get it, plus they are looking for some excitement in hopes of getting a new ballpark soon.
What does this mean for the Cubs? As we discussed in the Soler article it appeared the Cubs were out of the Cespedes running anyways, but does this mean the Marlins will focus their attention towards Soler having missed out on Cespedes? Only time will tell.
With all the press and stories about Cespedes, the Cubs apparently have been doing their homework on 19 year old Cuban Jorge Soler, and appear ready to strike. It seems as though the Cubs have realized that a continued pursuit of Cespedes is pointless given the Marlins offer to him, and Cespedes’ desire to play in Miami. Soler is not a free agent as of yet, he has to go through the same process that Cespedes had to go through to become a major league free agent. Once that does happen, it is being reported that the Cubs are going to be very aggressive to sign the 19 year old.
The biggest free agent remaining on the market is now officially in play for all teams, and the Marlins have struck first making the highly touted Dominican a 6 year, $40MM offer. Cespedes made his way to the United States last week on Thursday, and met with the Marlins. At that time Marlins president David Samson said that it was possible that the Marlins would make an offer to Cespedes at said meeting, apparently that’s exactly what happened.
Chicago Cubs GM Jed Hoyer joined “The Carmen, Jurko, and Harry Show” on ESPN 1000 to discuss a lot of topics ranging from Alfonso Soriano to when he hopes the Cubs will be a contending team and how to get to that point.
This really is a great time of year, it seems that almost every day brings new signs that the baseball season is right around the corner. Today’s treat, the Cubs have release the broadcast schedule for the 2012 season. Let’s take a look, get your DVR’s ready!