Travis Wood was dominant all night long as the lefty shut down the Reds, and led the Cubs to a 5-0 victory to take the series. It didn’t take long for the Cubs to grab a lead as Anthony Rizzo blasted his first home run of the season in the first, a majestic two-run shot to right. The Cubs flashed the leather all night behind Wood, Starlin Castro in particular, he made two outstanding plays to help preserve the shut out, and the lead. The only bad news in this one was an injury to Neil Ramirez, the right-hander left after just three pitches in the ninth inning. Ramirez will go for an MRI tomorrow, the initial diagnosis is right shoulder discomfort, that doesn’t sound great. First place!
At the Plate:
- Dexter Fowler is proving to be a solid lead-off hitter for the Cubs, he was 2-for-4 with a walk, a double, and two runs scored.
- Anthony Rizzo finally got on the board with a dinger, he was 1-for-4 with said homer, a walk, two RBI’s, and a run scored.
- Jorge Soler continued his production, he was 1-for-3 with a walk, and an RBI.
- Starlin Castro had an outstanding game, he was 2-for-3 with a walk, a double, and a run scored.
Rizzo goes way back!
On the Mound:
- All Travis Wood tonight, stellar. He worked seven scoreless innings, giving up just three hits while walking two and striking out seven.
- Phil Coke worked a solid scoreless inning in relief.
- Neil Ramirez got hurt in the ninth, so Brian Schlitter had to close it out, he worked a scoreless inning, giving up one hit while striking out one.