Things started out well enough today as the Cubs jumped on the listless Padres with two runs in the bottom of the first. I say listless because the Padres were sleepwalking in the first, they made two errors and looked generally disinterested. From that point on it was all Padres, as they scored five unanswered runs en route to a 5-2 win. Jon Lester was just okay again today, he worked into the sixth inning but made far too many mistakes up in the zone, he needs a road start or two to settle in. The Cubs threatened a few times as they left the bases-loaded twice, and were just 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
At the Plate:
- Dexter Fowler has been swinging it well as of late, he went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- Jorge Soler remains productive while hitting second in the order, he was 1-for-5 with an RBI, his ninth of the season.
- Kris Bryant had another solid game, he was 1-for-3 with his first double of the season, he was also hit by a pitch.
On the Mound:
- Jon Lester got the start in this one, and also the loss, he worked 5.1 innings, giving up three runs on six hits while walking two, and striking out four.
- Brian Schlitter couldn’t get out of Lester’s trouble, he worked two-thirds of an inning, giving up one hit while striking out one.
- Jason Motte couldn’t keep things close, he tossed one inning, giving up two runs on two hits.
- Edwin Jackson had a solid outing out of the pen today, he worked two scoreless innings, he surrendered one hit.