The task facing the Daytona Cubs offense was a tall one coming into game one, Matt Boyd had been lights out for Dunedin in 90 innings of work this year. Not tonight. The D-Cubs torched Boyd for seven runs over the first 3.1 innings en route to an 11-1 laugher.
At the Plate:
- Kyle Schwarber was 1-for-5, but it was a big one, a two-0ut grand slam in the fourth inning. He finished with four RBI’s, and one run scored.
- Dan Vogelbach had a huge game, he went 2-for-5 with a double, a home run, two RBI’s, and two runs scored.
- Billy McKinney hasn’t slowed down all year, he went 2-for-4 with a double, and two runs scored in the win.
- Willson Contreras was solid behind the plate, and at the plate, he went 3-for-4 with an RBI, and three runs scored.
- Bijan Rademacher was also productive from the bottom of the order, he went 3-for-3 with three RBI’s.
On the Mound:
- Rob Zastrynzy got the start, and was brilliant in picking up the victory. Zastrynzy worked six innings, giving up one run on five hits, while walking one, and striking out four.
- The D-Cubs pen worked three scoreless innings, but struggled with their command. Starling Peralta worked an inning while walking two, and striking out one. Gerardo Concepcion worked an inning while walking three (See?), and Jose Rosario mopped things up, working an inning while giving up two hits.
Game two is tomorrow night, the D-Cubs have a chance to make quick work of the best of three series.