Travis Wood will make his second start of the spring today as he takes the mound against the Indians. Wood was very good his first time out, and a second solid performance would go a long way towards cementing that 5th spot in the rotation. It’s a prospect heavy lineup for the Cubs today as Alcantara, Soler, Baez, Bryant, and Russell are all starting. First pitch today is at 3:05 PM CST, and the game will be on TV! Well, it’s on MLB.tv, you need a subscription to watch, but you can listen for free if you have an account via MLB.tv as well.
1. La Stella – DH
2. Lake – LF
3. Alcantara – CF
4. Soler – RF
5. Baez – 2B
6. Bryant – 3B
7. Castillo – C
8. Valaika – 1B
9. Russell – SS
SP – Travis Wood
The Cubs travel to Scottsdale today to take on the Rockies, and will make their debut on WBBM radio (780 AM) with Pat Hughes, and Ron Coomer on the call. Jason Hammel gets the ball as he makes his return to the Cubs organization this afternoon. First pitch is at 2:15 PM CST, and as of right now there are no streams or video. Here is how the Cubs will lineup behind Hammel…
1. Fowler CF
2. Rizzo 1B
3. Castro SS
4. Montero C
5. Soler RF
6. Bryant 3B
7. Coghlan LF
8. Ross DH
9. Herrera 2B
SP – Hammel
The young Cubs provided the fireworks early against the Giants before the bullpen couldn’t find away to get outs, and blew a 5-0 lead en route to an 8-6 loss. It was a lineup that had Cubs fans buzzing, Jorge Soler, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Kyle Schwarber, oh my. It was Schwarber who did the heavy lifting as he jacked a grand slam in his first at bat, giving the Cubs an early 4-0 lead. The Cubs pitching made that hold up early on as Jacob Turner, and Pierce Johnson were on top of their game, Johnson was particularly impressive.
At the plate:
- Kyle Schwarber was the star at the plate going 1-for-3 with said grand slam.
- Jorge Soler hit a number of balls hard, he finished the day 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Billy McKinney came on late and went deep, he finished the day 1-for-1 with an RBI.
- Kris Bryant went 0-for-2 with a walk, and a run scored.
- Addison Russell was 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Albert Almora didn’t start but finished the day 2-for-2, good to see.
On the mound:
- Jacob Turner got the start, and battled command early, he worked two scoreless innings, giving up one hit while walking two, and striking out one.
- Pierce Johnson was outstanding, he worked two scoreless innings, giving up no hits while walking one, and striking out one.
- Corey Black struggled, he worked one inning, giving up one run on one hit while walking two, and hitting Hunter Pence, breaking his forearm, ouch.
- Hunter Cervenka was worse, he was only able to register one out, he gave up five runs, four earned, on four hits while walking two.
A tie. The Cubs and A’s tied today. Mike Olt got the offense off and running early as he blasted a two-out, two-run bomb. Unfortunately that was all the Cubs could muster as they went scoreless the rest of the way while scratching out only five hits. The pitching was outstanding as Travis Wood, Neil Ramirez, and Drake Britton, among others, shut down the Athletics offense.
At the plate:
- MIKE OLT! Olt finished theday 1-for-2 with a home run, and two RBI.
- Chris Coghlan was 1-for-1 with a run scored.
- Newcomer Miguel Montero was 1-for-2 in the tie.
On the mound:
- Travis Wood got the start, and was flawless. Wood worked two scoreless innings giving up no hits, walking none while striking out two.
- Neil Ramirez was stupid good per usual. Ramirez worked one scoreless inning while striking out two.
- Drake Britton was pretty good in his first audition for a bullpen spot. Britton worked a scoreless inning, giving up one hit.
- Gonzalez Germen had the plate jump around a bit, but he was fairly effective. Germen worked two scoreless innings, giving up one hit while walking two, and striking out two.
It’s finally here, Cubs baseball. Sure it’s only spring training, but I’m going to get excited, here are the lineups for both games today. The Cubs/A’s game from Mesa is on the Cubs website, radio only, 2:05 PM CST first pitch.
ATHLETICS @ CUBS
1. Fowler (CF)
2. Rizzo (1B)
3. Castro (SS)
4. Montero (C)
5. Baez (2B)
6. Coghlan (LF)
7. Olt (3B)
8. Sweeney (DH)
9. Lake (RF)
Travis Wood starts.
CUBS @ GIANTS
1. La Stella (2B)
2. Denorfia (LF)
3. Alcantara (CF)
4. Soler (RF)
5. Castillo (C)
6. Bryant (3B)
7. Schwarber (DH)
8. Valaika (1B)
9. Russell (SS)
Jacob Turner starts.
We’ll be back with recaps once the action for the day has ended, a ton of young guys on display today.