The deadline for signing draft picks is this Friday, well the Cubs got their number one priority taken care of today. Per multiple reports from Jim Callis, Peter Gammons, and Paul Sullivan the Cubs have agreed to terms with Kris Bryant for full slot, meaning $6.7M. It seemed like the Cubs would be getting Bryant signed all along, he is a Boras client so I’m not surprised it took this long. The money is a record in the slot era, but again, Bryant got slot so it’s not like the Cubs went over, but some were hoping he would go for under slot. Expect the Cubs to make it official shortly then we get to see where Bryant will start his Cubs career, wouldn’t be shocked to see him start at High A Daytona right off the bat.
Around the League: January 30, 2012 – February 5, 2012
For the remainder of the off season, we will provide you with a quick trip around MLB to recap what has happened in the past week, thanks for following.
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Victor Martinez had micro-fracture surgery to repair the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee. He expects to have ACL surgery in six-to-eight weeks, officially ending his 2011 season before it started.
- Pat Burrell retired at the age of 35 due to chronic foot injury.
- Manager Ron Washington received a two-year extension through 2014.
- Orioles sign RHP Pat Neshek, C Ronny Paulino, and 17 year old LHP Seong-Min Kim to minor league contracts.
- Brewers sign former Cub outfielder Corey Patterson to a minor league contract.
- Yankees sign RHP Manny Delcarmen to a minor league contract