Joe Mather continues to impress as he hit a game winning solo homerun yesterday against the Texas Rangers. He is making a strong case to make the opening day roster with a rather impressive spring thus far. Not only has Mather had a nice spring with the bat, but his versatility should only improve his chances of making the team. He can play the corner outfield spots and can also play both corner spots in the infield. Mather, 29 hits from the right side of the plate, which if he makes the team he should get plenty of playing time against left-handed pitching as he could spell DeJesus, LaHair, and Sewart. Continue reading
Around the League: February 6, 2012-February 12, 2012
Monday, February 6
- Pitcher Anibail Sanchez won his arbitration case against the Marlins (1 yr. 8MM).
- Orioles designate former Cub Clay Rapada for assignment
- Rockies acquire RHP Jeremy Guthrie for Pitchers Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom.
- Nationals sign Mark Teahen to a minor league deal.
- Rangers sign Conor Jackson and Joe Beimel to minor league deals.
- Cardinals sign Alex Cora to minor league deal with a spring invite.
- Astros sign OF Justin Ruggiano to minor league deal with spring invite.
Around the League: January 30, 2012 – February 5, 2012
For the remainder of the off season, we will provide you with a quick trip around MLB to recap what has happened in the past week, thanks for following.
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Victor Martinez had micro-fracture surgery to repair the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee. He expects to have ACL surgery in six-to-eight weeks, officially ending his 2011 season before it started.
- Pat Burrell retired at the age of 35 due to chronic foot injury.
- Manager Ron Washington received a two-year extension through 2014.
- Orioles sign RHP Pat Neshek, C Ronny Paulino, and 17 year old LHP Seong-Min Kim to minor league contracts.
- Brewers sign former Cub outfielder Corey Patterson to a minor league contract.
- Yankees sign RHP Manny Delcarmen to a minor league contract