According to several sources the Oakland Athletics have agreed to sign Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to a 4 year $36MM deal. This is a big surprise as it appeared the Miami Marlins were well on their way to signing him to a six year
deal. This contract will enable Cespedes, who is said to be 26, a chance to become a free agent once again at 30, giving him a possibility of cashing in on a second big contract. According to Peter Gammons, Cespedes’ representatives “felt the A’s wanted him more than anyone else.” For the A’s this is a nice signing considering they have been looking for offense anyway they can get it, plus they are looking for some excitement in hopes of getting a new ballpark soon.
What does this mean for the Cubs? As we discussed in the Soler article it appeared the Cubs were out of the Cespedes running anyways, but does this mean the Marlins will focus their attention towards Soler having missed out on Cespedes? Only time will tell.
With all the press and stories about Cespedes, the Cubs apparently have been doing their homework on 19 year old Cuban Jorge Soler, and appear ready to strike. It seems as though the Cubs have realized that a continued pursuit of Cespedes is pointless given the Marlins offer to him, and Cespedes’ desire to play in Miami. Soler is not a free agent as of yet, he has to go through the same process that Cespedes had to go through to become a major league free agent. Once that does happen, it is being reported that the Cubs are going to be very aggressive to sign the 19 year old.
The biggest free agent remaining on the market is now officially in play for all teams, and the Marlins have struck first making the highly touted Dominican a 6 year, $40MM offer. Cespedes made his way to the United States last week on Thursday, and met with the Marlins. At that time Marlins president David Samson said that it was possible that the Marlins would make an offer to Cespedes at said meeting, apparently that’s exactly what happened.